The Pact, Part 1
Mandy Straussberg is volunteering at Hillingdale Haven and meets Agnes Riley. (Agnes suffers from a mental illness, but at first she’s convinced that Mandy is someone she knows.) When Mandy dismisses this, Agnes says there’s something she has to remember. Mandy is confused, but Agnes just starts painting.
A few days later, the painting continues, and Agnes becomes convinced that something special is going to happen that day - August 2nd. She even has "JO" written on her calendar. When Tom Riley, her husband, comes to visit her, Agnes seems distant and distracted. No one can figure out what’s going on.
Tom decides to enlist Whit and Mandy’s help to look through Agnes’s old calendars. They find that the date is always marked with a "JO" every ten years. Tom still can’t imagine what that means, but then gets worse news — Agnes is missing from Hillingdale. The three go to Hillingdale where the doctor tells them she was looking through books at the library. Whit notices that all the books are red with gold lettering. Tom realizes this is what Agnes's journals look like. They find the journals back at Tom’s house and start going through them to find clues as to Agnes's destination.
Meanwhile, a truck driver picks up Agnes and the two of them head toward a special place...Loon Lake.
(continues in #512: “The Pact, Part 2”)...
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why was Agnes so anxious to leave Hillingdale on August 2?
- Joanne didn’t know about her impact on Agnes’s life until years later. What are some
- Read 1 Corinthians 1:6. How do you think this verse applies to today’s episode?
|Agnes Riley||Susan Silo|
|Dr. Jennings||Corey Burton|
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
|Mandy Straussberg||Aria Curzon|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
|Truck driver||Joy Blowers|
- This show was Bob Hoose's directorial debut. (Though #504: “Aubrey's Bathrobe” aired earlier, "The Pact" was recorded first.)
- This is one of only two episodes with both an opening segment and a preview in the theme song. The other is #546: “No Way Out”.
QuotesAgnes Riley: "J-O"! That's it! "J-O". Does that mean anything to you?
Mandy Straussberg: No.
Agnes Riley: I should know what that means. What does it mean? What is it?
John Whittaker: Is something wrong, Tom?
Tom Riley: Agnes is missing.