Something's Got to Change
Ed has always been good at helping the kids at Whit's End. Unfortunately, however, the 45-minute drive between the Washington house and Whit's End (Connellsville) keeps him from being able to do as much as he could. Because of this, he and Elaine have decided the family should move. They begin to house hunt, but with very little success.
Finally, while driving with Whit, Ed sees the "perfect" house. He makes Whit pull over and they look into buying the house. Then he brings the whole family to the site with blindfolds on so they will be sure to get the first look all at the same time. He's sure that they will love the house as much as he does. What Ed has failed to mention, however, is that the “perfect house” is actually the old McAlister house. Everyone in the family, with the exception of Xavier and Ed, are less than pleased with the house. Ed still feels it is God’s will, but decides that he won't force this point upon his family.
A few days later, Marvin and Tamika run into one of the kids Ed has been a major influence on. After the conversation, they realize how important it really is for their dad to be closer to Connellsville, and change their minds about the house. They tell their dad its okay to move after all. Soon after, the Washington’s arrive in their new home. They're all nervously excited until they are paid a visit by their new neighbor...Bart Rathbone!
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- There are no discussion questions listed for this episode. »
Heard in episode
Mentioned in episode
|Trent DeWhite||Marvin Washington|
|Stephen Straussberg||Ed Washington|
|Ernest McAlister||Marvin Washington|
- This episode moves the Washingtons near Connelsville into the Rathbone family's neighborhood. This also places them in the same neighborhood as the Straussberg family and Wooton. This also means they live near the Electric Palace, and across town from Mrs. Randolph.
- Marvin's offhanded comment that their new house probably has "secret passages" and the brief conversation that follows foreshadow the events of #546: “No Way Out” and #547: “No Way In”.
- One of the questions in the survival game the Washingtons play with Whit is about escaping a polar bear. Whit really did have to escape a bear in #37: “Camp What-A-Nut, Part 1” (though not a polar bear).
- This is the last episode to feature Xavier Washington. In #546: “No Way Out”, Xavier is already on the way to live with his mother in Chicago.
- Bart Rathbone's line at the end of this episode is an archive clip from #287: “Tom for Mayor, Part 2”.
QuotesElaine Washington: Ed, is this going to make me want to hit you or kiss you?
Ed Washington: I'm hoping for the latter.
Marvin Washington: Why are we going to need the ladder?
Tamika Washington: Is this a tree house?
Xavier Washington: I once lived in a house with no ceiling! ...Okay, I didn't. But you make do with what you got!
Tamika Washington: Are you feeling as guilty as I am?
Marvin Washington: Are you ready to crawl under a rock?
Tamika Washington: Uh-huh.
Marvin Washington: Then yes.