Camp What-A-Nut, Part 1
Summertime means going to camp, and in Odyssey, the camp everyone goes to is Camp What-A-Nut. It's Donny McCoy's first year as a camper, and he records every minute of his experience in his journal. He starts with Camp Director Whit's explanation of how the place came to be called "What-a-Nut." It's an acronym for the camp's real name, "Wey-Aka-Tal-Ah-Nee-Tee" — an Indian phrase meaning "land that stinks like swamp".
Donny's week takes off from there. It's filled with both exciting and ridiculous incidents. First, his sister, Gloria, seems to fall in love with Donny's counselor, Ned Lewis. Gloria appears so smitten, she crafts a heart-shaped necklace. Then, to make matters worse, Donny learns that one of his cabin mates is Chas Wentworth, a notorious bully. Chas has a run-in with the camp's Italian cook, Marco Dibiasi. Chas vows revenge. Unfortunately, Chas also zeroes in on Donny, teasing him about being short.
Donny tries every activity available and fails at each one because of his small stature. Whit notices this and takes Donny on a walk in the forest. Suddenly an enormous bear lumbers right toward them! The bear is protecting her cubs. She charges Donny and Whit, who run! Whit trips and falls. The bear rushes closer and closer.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why did Chas treat Marco-and everyone else-so badly?
- Read 1 Samuel 16:1-13. Why does God think what's on the inside is more important than what's on the outside?
- How can you become better at seeing people's hearts rather than their appearances?
|Chas Wentworth||Chad Reisser|
|Donny McCoy||Nathan Fisk|
|Gloria McCoy||Kari Wahlgren|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Marco Dibiasi||Will Ryan|
|Ned Lewis||Steve Wunch|
|Frank (c)||Kara Stooke|
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
- This show introduces Camp What-A-Nut — a popular summer camp for kids in the early day of the show — for the first time.
- This episodes was originally written with Jimmy Barclay in the lead role, to continue his summer journal. But the actor who plays Jimmy, was on a real-life vacation with his real-life family so the lead was changed to Donny McCoy.
- Kari Wahlgren, who voiced Gloria McCoy in “Camp What-A-Nut,” returned to Odyssey 22 years later as Charlotte Maria, the Parker family's nanny in #676: “An Agreeable Nanny”
- Version Differences
- The beginning of the original broadcast version of this episode has Chris on a bus to Camp What-A-Nut. She mentions a number of kids and their past adventures in Odyssey, including Steve Larson (#25-26: “Harley Takes the Case”), Kirk McGinty (#28: “The Price of Freedom”), Jack Davis (#29: “Rumor Has It”), Lucy Cunningham-Schultz (#29: “Rumor Has It”), Mike Caldwell (#20: “Mike Makes Right”) and Philo Sanderson (#24: “Gotcha!”). It's interesting to note that many of these episodes contained Officer Harley.
- In the original broadcast, Chris refers to Jimmy's journal in #31-32: “Family Vacation”.
QuotesJohn Avery Whittaker: Well, we didn't feel real comfortable about being known as the Stinking Swamp Campers!
Ned Lewis: Wow, it really gets dark in here!
Chas Wentworth: Here, I'll turn on my flashlight.
Ned Lewis: Ah! Thanks Chas, but I don't need a light, especially not right in my eyes!
Ned Lewis: I can find my way in the dark! Oh!
Chas Wentworth: Watch out for the suitcase!
Ned Lewis: Thanks a lot- Ah!
Chas Wentworth: Watch out for the other one, too.
Marco Dibiasi: And another thing that don’t make sense, I read a big headline: “Employee Arrested When $50,000 Found Missing”. Now, how could it be found if it was a missing?!
John Whittaker: So, what do you think of the place?
Ned Lewis: It's far out.
John Whittaker: I'm glad you like it.
Ned Lewis: No, I mean we're really far out! That's some drive up here.
John Whittaker: Well, that's the idea. You wanna pick a place that's remote so kids can get away from civilization for a while.
Ned Lewis: Well, couldn't they get away from civilization a little closer to the city?
Gloria McCoy: What do you mean yelling at me like that, you little... Oh, hi Mr. Whittaker!
Ned Lewis: Frank, that's a nice...what is this?
Frank: It's a 1/32nd square model of downtown Odyssey.
Ned Lewis: Great, that's great. Keep up the good work. Wow, can that kid whittle!
Donny McCoy: In science class I tried mixing some chemicals together to make glue. But all I got was kicked out of the class.
Donny McCoy: I entered the fishing contest, but every time I got a bite, the fish would pull me out of the boat.
Marco Dibiasi: Another said "New! Grandma's Old Fashioned Cookies." Now how can it be 'old fashioned' if it's brand new?!?!?