Trent was president of the science club at school, was a member of the school debate team, is interested in space science, and is a skilled cello player. He has recently been showing an interest in broadcasting and acting, despite once possessing a morbid fear of the microphone. Marvin Washington is his best friend, and he is close friends with Mandy Straussberg (on whom he also has a crush). He is also friends with Max Hampton and Liz Horton.
- See DeWhite family
It was revealed in #560: “The Present Long Ago” that Trent will marry Mandy Straussberg in the distant future. This is fitting, because Mandy is Odyssey Middle School's other top student. They are currently close friends, but not dating, although, as revealed in #602: “Mum’s the Word”, he has developed a crush on her. Through this marriage, his mother-in-law will be Rachel Straussberg, his father-in-law will be Stephen Straussberg, and his brother-in-law will be David Straussberg. Additionally, as revealed in "The Present Long Ago", he has a grandson, whose name is not given in the episode (though is mentioned on the official website as Brandon). He also has an unnamed granddaughter.
Trent is a straight-A, determined student possessing quite an overactive imagination (a trait reminiscent of Lawrence Hodges). Much like his brother Jared, he has a tendency to overreact, and his mind tends to stray from reality, though not to the extent of making up conspiracy theories. Ultimately kind-hearted, Trent isn't afraid to tell his friends his honest viewpoint—with a bit of a snarky streak every now and then—and finds expressing his intelligence to be natural (to the point of being completely unable to pretend otherwise).
- He wears glasses. (#558: “A Glass Darkly”)
- He eats oranges without peeling them. (#602: “Mum’s the Word”)
- He was in Marvin's band, Los Perros Frescos. (#559: “The Coolest Dog”)
- He once unintentionally saved the life of a teacher. (#558: “A Glass Darkly”)
- He once had a beagle named Bingo, who was hit by a car after getting loose because Trent forgot to fill in a hole in his house's fence. (#569: “The Invisible Dog”)
- He dislikes darkness, boats, the ocean, and swimming. (#625: “Something Significant”)
- In #539: “Called on in Class” and other episodes, it is established that Trent suffers from glossophobia—the fear of public speaking.
- He is a very skilled cello player. (#558: “A Glass Darkly”)
- He is a fan of T.S. Eliot. (#560: “The Present Long Ago”)
- See DeWhite quotes