The Legend of Sperry McGerk
Jump to navigation Jump to search
“The Legend of Sperry McGerk,” an Adventures in Odyssey Club exclusive, is episode #820 of the Adventures in Odyssey audio series. It was written and directed by Phil Lollar, and was originally released on August 1, 2017.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- What did you think of this story? Do you find the people and events surrounding the American Civil War interesting?
- When Sperry McGerk first shared his plan with the citizens of Odyssey, did you trust him? Why or why not? How did it feel to learn that Sperry wasn’t as heroic as he pretended to be? When has someone taken advantage of your trust?
- In recent Adventures we’ve seen the importance of putting others’ needs ahead of our own (Philippians 2:3-4). What did Sperry do that was selfish? How did someone else’s unselfishness change him?
- Talk about Jeecey Chrisum’s decision to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Did his heroism—or his name—remind you of anyone else who laid down His life so that others could be free? (Romans 5:6-8, Hebrews 9:15, John 8:31-36, Romans 6:22-23)
- Read Romans 6:16-18 together. What are some signs that a person is a slave to sin? How can we tell if we are slaves to righteousness?
- Sperry was an actor . . . and a fraud. What’s the difference between playing a part the way actors do on Adventures in Odyssey, and pretending to be someone we’re not?
- Talk about Sperry’s decision to return all of the things he had taken once the Lord changed his heart. How does action like this show true repentance?
- Whit said that God had prepared works for Sperry to do in Odyssey. How does it feel to know that God has specific plans for you as well? (Ephesians 2:10) What good works has He asked you to do lately?
- Based on what we know about Renee’s journey (#794: “Things Not Seen”), why do you think Whit asked her to work on an Imagination Station program about redemption?
- The name "Sperry McGerk" is a reference to the 1946 film "Road to Utopia", in which Sperry and McGerk are two villains, who steal the map to a gold mine at the beginning of the film. "Road to Utopia" is the fourth in the "Road" series, starring Bing Crosby and Bob Hope.
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».