Aloha, Oy!, Part 1
Jimmy Barclay and Lawrence Hodges go to Rathbone's Electric Palace to buy some fuses for George, and they end up getting a big surprise. As soon as Jimmy enters the store, bells ring, whistles blow, alarms sound, and music plays. Bart Rathbone rushes up to Jimmy. Rathbone proclaims Jimmy to be the 10,000th customer to enter the Electric Palace. He and four of his friends and family members have won a free trip to Hawaii!
Back at the Barclays' home, George confirms that the trip is legitimate, the family and Lawrence really are going to pineapple paradise. But when they arrive at the airport, they discover that Bart, Doris, and Rodney Rathbone are joining them. Bart has finagled extra tickets for his family.
The Barclays experience their wackiest vacation ever as Bart's cost-cutting measures lead them to a strange boat captain who gets them lost at sea.
Meanwhile, Rodney goes to drastic measures to impress Donna (including having a wild parasailing experience). And Lawrence's efforts to find his father lead to several near-discoveries and a disastrous debut as a busboy. Circumstances remarkably connect, however. Rodney learns a lesson about going to extremes to impress people, and Lawrence has a touching reunion with his father, thanks to the Barclays, who learn to never travel with the Rathbones again.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why didn't the Barclays want to go to Hawaii with the Rathbones?
- What did Lawrence really want out of his trip to Hawaii? Did he get it?
- Why is family togetherness so important?
Heard in episode
Mentioned in episode
|Maureen Hodges||George Barclay|
|Lieutenant Joe Hodges||Lawrence Hodges|
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
- The old woman, the stewardess and Doris are all played by the same actor in this episode: Pamela Hayden!
- The character of "Steve McFarrett" from "Hawaii Five Aloha" mentioned in this episode is a reference to the character Steve McGarrett from Hawaii Five-O.
- The Barclay family's need for frugality on their trip in this episode is likely due to George Barclay having lost his job previously in #234: “Our Daily Bread”.
- Jimmy and Lawrence briefly mention their Rick Rancid fan club in this episode.
- To fill time at the end of this episode, a featurette was included that featured Chris and Harlow interviewing fans.
- Bart would sponsor more contests in #220: “This is Chad Pearson?” and #558: “A Glass Darkly”.
QuotesJimmy Barclay: You're our tour guide?
Don Iowa: That's right. Don Iowa, guest liaison.
Doris Rathbone: Ooh, I just love Hawaiian names - how do you spell that?
Don Iowa: D-O-N.
Doris Rathbone: No, your last name.
Stewardess: Anything else?
George Barclay: Two aspirin, please.
Stewardess: Coming right up.
Bart Rathbone: What's the matter, you got a headache?
Jimmy Barclay: I can't believe you volunteered us to go to The Electric Palace just as Rick Ranson was about to start, Lawrence.
Lawrence Hodges: Sorry, Jimmy; I didn't know what I was thinking.
Jimmy Barclay: I may have to kick you out of the fan club for this!
Lawrence Hodges: You'd look pretty silly attending the meetings all by yourself.
Jimmy Barclay: That's true.
George Barclay: There are five tickets, and only four of us.
Lawrence Hodges: Uh, guys?
Mary Barclay: It would have to be somebody close to us...
Lawrence Hodges: Have I ever you guys how much you mean to me?
Donna Barclay: And someone who would appreciate the educational value of the trip...
Lawrence Hodges: My next school report is on Hawaii's flora and fauna. If only I had some samples...
George Barclay: Who could it be? Who? Who?
Lawrence Hodges: Oh, come on guys!
Jimmy Barclay: I know! Lawrence!
Lawrence Hodges: Yes!
Jimmy Barclay: Can you think of anybody?
Lawrence Hodges: What?!