The Journal of John Avery Whittaker
“The Journal of John Avery Whittaker,” an Adventures in Odyssey Club exclusive, is episode #789 of the Adventures in Odyssey audio series. It was written by Dave Arnold, and was originally released on January 1, 2016.
Discover which people and events shaped Whit’s character as a boy, inspiring him to become an imitator of Christ.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Like The Present Long Ago, since young Whit is narrating, this is the only episode to jump way back into the past.
- In the introduction, young Whit says, "like Thomas Edison, the "inventor" of the light bulb said..." when actually Thomas Edison did NOT "invent" the lightbulb, rather he only invented a practical material to use "with" the lightbulb to make it cheaper to use and produce.
- In "The Journal of John Avery Whittaker" we find out how Whit got his nickname—and who gave it to him. Do you have a nickname? What does it mean, and where did it come from?
- Which of these relatives did you enjoy meeting most: Whit's father, his Grandpa Jackson, or his stepmother Fionna? Why?
- Whit learned a lot of valuable lessons in this episode. Which one stood out to you? (Ex: perseverance, imitation, wisdom, humility, adjusting to change and loss, pruning, friendship, life goals, holiness)
- What did Fionna mean when she said, "Failing at least means you're playing"? When were you able to turn a mistake or a failure into something positive? Read Romans 8:28 together for reassurance that God will do that for us if we follow Him.
- Do you remember the day you met your best friend? If so, share a little about that first encounter.
- Is there a family in your neighborhood that could use extra kindness and encouragement? What can you do to reflect the image of Jesus to them?
- Talk about pruning in light of John 15:2. Are there things in your life—maybe even good things—that are holding you back from growing and becoming the person God wants you to be? Read Hebrews 12:1 for another example of how we can be energized by letting things go.
- At what age do boys and girls start to find each other "interesting"? Have you ever been struck by Cupid's arrow? What are some of the character traits you hope to find in that special someone?
- John confessed in his journal that he often had to learn things the hard way. What does that mean? Is the same true of you, or are you more inclined to trust good advice and learn from other people's mistakes? How do you feel about the idea of keeping a journal?
- What did you find most interesting about the country where Whit grew up? Did Scotland sound like a place you'd like to visit?
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».