The Boat People, Part 2
“The Boat People, Part 2,” an Adventures in Odyssey Club exclusive, is episode #796 of the Adventures in Odyssey audio series. It was written and directed by Phil Lollar, and was originally released on August 1, 2016.
Based on actual events, hundreds of Vietnamese refugees encounter pirates and other threats while adrift at sea.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Share memories of a boat ride you’ve taken and how it compared to the refugees’ experience. Would you like to sail far out onto the ocean? Why or why not?
- We’ve learned a lot about the work of World Vision during these past two Adventures. What has impressed you most about that ministry?
- Mrs. Chang made light of Jerry’s promise not to part with his father’s ring. Describe a time when your friends made fun of you for keeping a promise or obeying your parents. What happened?
- Have someone look up John 15:13. How did characters in our audio drama demonstrate that kind of unselfish, sacrificial love?
- With a crippled engine, the refugees were dead in the water, desperate for someone to come along and help them. Three boats arrived. The first was full of pirates, who robbed them. The second was a navy vessel that gave them false hope and cut them loose. The third ship rescued them, cared for their needs, and took them to safety. Does this remind you of a story Jesus told? Discuss that together and take turns reading from Luke 10:25-37.
- Talk about Mrs. Chang’s approach to prayer—pleas to Buddha, dead ancestors and eventually Jesus. In this case it ended well. But why is it risky for a person to put faith in something just because it seems to “work” and gives them the results they asked for? (For deeper study, consider 2 Corinthians 12:7-10, James 4:3, Luke 22:42 and Matthew 6:5-13.)
- Who was hurt most by Whit’s bitterness toward the people of Vietnam? What can we learn from his mistake?
- Whit didn’t waste any time seeking out the Changs to apologize for his attitude years earlier, even though he didn’t really have to. Why do you think he felt it was important to talk with them? How did apologizing benefit Whit?
- According to Renee, what was her Uncle Argyle’s expression for dealing with ugliness inside of us that needs to change? When has God challenged you to “embrace the brambles” in your life? What happened?
- What did Linh mean when she said, “When Jesus brings a person back to life, he is not the same person he was before”? Share 2 Corinthians 5:17. How have you witnessed this in your life or someone else’s?
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».