Shining Armor, Part 1
Jason Whittaker returns to a missions project he set up months before and finds that things have gone terribly wrong.
The small South American airport seems peaceful as Jason Whittaker arrives. He is returning to a place that he left months ago and he is hoping to check to see how everything is going. Manuel, a friend of his, tells him that things may not be well. A civil war is going on, the church Jason established has lost many members, and many people are following the teachings of a mysterious character named Victor. Victor has a radio broadcast that broadcasts strange religious dramas. Santo, who was once a strong believer in the church, is now angry at Jason and has joined Victor.
Jason decided he can fight force with force and shows up at one of Victor's meetings. He tries to persuade everyone to follow him again. But they won't follow him...they want to listen to Victor.
That night Jason hears gunfire outside his room. Manuel assures him that its just rebels trying to scare them. The next day, Luis tells Jason that many of his friends are joining Victor's church. He says he even understands why they did. Jason tells Luis that he should spread the word that radio broadcast is false. Luis decides to break into the radio station and broadcast to everyone that the program is all lies. Jason hears him live on the radio and is very concerned when the program suddenly cuts off. He rushes to the station to find out if Luis is safe. The story continues in part II...
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Did Jason do anything wrong when he went to the prayer meeting?
- If so, what was it?
- Luis and Santo explained that a lot of people in the country were interested in Victor's broadcast. Why do you think so many people were interested?
- Can you think of any thing you've encountered that's similar to Victor's broadcasts?
- Should Jason have encouraged Luis to "spread the word" about Victor without talking to Manuel or Celia first?
- Was it okay for Luis to break into the radio station?
- Why or why not?
|Jason Whittaker||Townsend Coleman|
- This episode was originally named "Jason Overseas".
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
Victor: Anyone else? Have you ever been told that you were too weak or too young or too old? Yeah, yeah, you in the back, do you have a testimony?
Jason Whittaker: Yeah, once in the first grade my friends told me that I was too wimpy to eat four raw eggs and a snail in succession. Ha, I guess I showed them!
Maria: I’ve looked for the keys to enlightenment and I know not where else to look.
Victor: Search your heart, search your soul…
Jason Whittaker: Search the top drawer of your nightstand. That’s where I always keep my keys.
Luis: I can't wait till I have to shave, so I can not shave, too.
Luis: This is the present you sent me. I put it next to my bed.
Jason Whittaker: I sent this to you?
Manuel: None of us knew what it was to be honest. But he kept it. I think it died or something. It shrunk up and got hard.
Jason Whittaker: Well you know that was called cotton candy. And you were supposed to eat it.
Jason Whittaker: No, no! Not now! Don't eat it now. You could probably break a tooth on it now.
Luis: These guys are gonna eat our dirt!