The Winning Edge
Summertime in Odyssey means softball, and this summer is no exception. Robyn Jacobs is on The Odyssey Coyotes, coached by Tom Riley. Traci Needlemeyer, however, is on the Stingrays, the biggest losers in their division. She isn't happy about it at all, until she meets their new coach, Bart Rathbone. He immediately gives Traci a pep talk and bolsters her self-confidence, doing the same for the rest of the team. Bart whips them into shape and makes them better players. But he also tells the team that winning is everything - and should be attained at any cost.
Traci isn't sure about this philosophy. But when the Stingrays begin rising in the ranks, Traci starts believing that winning is all that matters. And when the team clinches the Western Division title, Traci is a full-fledged convert. The Stingrays will meet the Eastern Division champions, the Coyotes, in the playoffs.
Bart sends Traci to the Coyotes' victory celebration at Whit's End to rattle Robyn. Traci does this by dumping a malt all over her.
Whit recognizes the symptoms of a deeper problem and talks to Bart about easing up on his win-at-all-costs message. But Whit's plea falls on deaf ears. The Stingrays find themselves in trouble in the championship game because of Robyn's powerhouse hitting. Over Traci's objections, Bart orders one of his players to "take [Robyn] out of the game." Liz Hoffman, one of the Stingrays, slides into Robyn, injuring her.
The Stingrays end up winning, but Traci is horrified and cannot enjoy the victory. She visits Robyn at the doctor's office and is relieved to learn that Robyn has suffered no permanent damage. Traci begs for her forgiveness, which Robyn grants. Everyone learns a valuable lesson about not letting their competitive spirit get out of hand.
- Is it wrong to be competitive?
- Why or why not?
- Why was it so easy for Traci to give in to Bart's win-at-all-costs philosophy?
- Is winning at all costs always wrong?
- Can you think of some instances where it might be okay?
- If so, explain.
|Bart Rathbone||Walker Edmiston|
|Dale Jacobs||Phil Lollar|
|Fred Zachary||David Lipson|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Robyn Jacobs||Sage Bolte|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
|Traci Needlemeyer||Brooke Bellessi|
- This episode marks the first usage of Kids Radio for broadcasting a Coyotes game. The next instance would be the boys team's championship game in #240: “And the Glory”.
- After the Coyotes win the game that sends them to the playoffs, Fred Zachary asks Robyn Jacobs what she's going to do next. She spoofs the famous Disney promotion by saying "I'm goin' to Whit's End!"
- To date, this is the last time that Fred Zachary appears on AIO.
- One of the music cues for this episode includes the tune to the first line of "Take Me Out to to the Ball Game."
- This episode is included on Odyssey DVD 3.
- AIO Update: Read
John Whittaker: C'mon, everybody — there's a victory celebration going on over at my place. Let's get over there!
Robyn Jacobs: But, Mr. Whittaker... we lost.
John Whittaker: Only the game, Robyn. Only the game.