Sunday Morning Scramble
The Washingtons try to get to church on time, which leads to chaos in their home.
The Washington family always seems to have trouble getting to church on time! So much is done at the very last minute and something always tends to go wrong. But this Sunday will be different...or so Elaine thinks...
Today, Tamika is trying to invite some new friends that she can receive the extra points and be at the top in her Sunday school. Marvin is trying to remember his Bible verse, but he has gum stuck in his hair! Ed tries to cut the gum out and ends up putting a bald spot in Marvin’s hair, not to mention a dent that according to Tamika is the size of a swimming pool.
Meanwhile, Mrs. Washington is hard at work cooking the after-church lunch for the pastor and his wife. Just when the chaos is reaching its peak, Bart Rathbone comes by in need of a shower. Bart only adds to the madness as the time to leave quickly approaches.
Just when all seems lost, Elaine reveals that she set the clocks ahead 10 minutes last night. Ed reveals that he set the clocks ahead 15 more minutes. They all breathe a sigh of relief...until Bart reveals that he sets their clocks back to the correct time! They race to the church parking lot and get there only to see no cars in the parking lot! Did they miss church? They run into Tom Riley and he tells them that they forgot to set their clocks back an hour. Tom persuades the family to join him for prayer, to prepare for worship. The Washingtons realize that they were losing focus of what Sunday and going to church was all about.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- What could the Washington's have done to be more punctual?
Heard in episode
|Ed Washington||Mark Christopher Lawrence|
|Elaine Washington||J Karen Thomas|
|Marvin Washington||Kendre Berry|
|Tamika Washington||Courtney Brown|
|Bart Rathbone||Walker Edmiston|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
Mentioned in episode
|Doris Rathbone||Bart Rathbone|
|Ashley Jenkins||Tamika Washington|
- This is the first episode to feature a post-closing-wrap scene.
- This episode originally aired a day before a Sunday on which Daylight Savings time ended.
- The sound of the cheesecake falling on the floor was created by sound designer Nathan Jones walking through oatmeal.
- "That time with the snowflakes" is an example of the popular trope known as "The Noodle Incident" - something from the past that is referenced but never fully explained.
- Bart references famous singer Willie Nelson.
- Ed references the hymn How Great Thou Art.
- Tom is known to be a member of Odyssey Community Church, so it can be inferred from this episode that this is the church the Washingtons attend as well.
QuotesEd Washington: Innovative, but you're a little wrinkled.
Marvin Washington: So is Grandma, and no one makes her change for church!
Tamika Washington: I’m gonna lose the sticker contest!
Marvin Washington: I have a big hole on my head and I’m wearing dirty clothes!
Elaine Washington: What are you doing here?
Bart Rathbone: Doris kicked me out.
Elaine Washington: Oh. Engine parts in the dishwasher again?
Bart Rathbone: No. Cheese Doodles in the shower.
Bart Rathbone: What's in it for me [if I come to church]?
Tamika Washington: You get to sing songs.
Bart Rathbone: You do any Willie Nelson?
Tamika Washington: <to Bart> You're putting sugar on your honey puffs? That's like putting sugar on sugar.
Elaine Washington: Don't you remember the snowflakes?!
Ed Washington: Do you have your verse memorized?
Marvin Washington: Uh, yeah! Uh, "I pledge allegiance to the flag..."
Ed Washington: Your verse, Marvin!