The New Olivia
“The New Olivia,” an Adventures in Odyssey Club exclusive, is episode #848 of the Adventures in Odyssey audio series. It was written and directed by Kathy Buchanan, and was originally released on November 1, 2018.
Ready for a new image, Olivia Parker discovers how an extreme makeover can take on a life of its own.
|“||Fun-loving Vice Principal Morris approaches Olivia Parker about representing the school at a big leadership conference. Thus ensues a series of deceptions that converge at the worst possible time and place.||”|
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- When have you been tempted to pretend that you're someone you're not?
- Did Olivia's toilet paper fiasco remind you of an embarrassing moment of your own? What happened? What did you learn from that experience?
- Olivia was excited to get a fresh start where people didn't know about her mistakes. Can you relate? Read 2 Corinthians 5:17-21. Why should we be even more excited about that clean slate?
- Describe several ways people change how they look, speak or act. Do you think those specific changes are healthy or unhealthy?
- Lies and deception often breed more lies and deception. How was this true in Olivia's case, and how might Proverbs 10:9 and 11:3 have helped her stay out of trouble?
- Olivia wanted Eva to rescue her from the consequences of her actions. How did her mom respond? Do you think Eva did the right thing?
- How did Olivia's teammates feel after she admitted to lying? Describe how a single lie can change a person's reputation. Then read Proverbs 12:22 for God's view of trustworthiness.
- What qualities make someone a good leader worth following? Who do you know who fits that description?
- Eva reminded her confused daughter that, as a follower of Jesus, Olivia already knew who she was. What did she mean? How can understanding our identity in Christ help us make better choices?
Heard in episode
- Olivia ends up having to speak in British and Southern accents in this episode.
- "One Way Street" is a reference to the bands One Direction and Backstreet Boys.