Take Every Thought Captive
“Take Every Thought Captive,” an Adventures in Odyssey Club exclusive, is episode #867 of the Adventures in Odyssey audio series. It was written by Sam Suksiri, and was originally released on June 1, 2019.
Mean girl Valerie Swanson visits a strange city that’s oddly familiar, yet unlike anything she’s ever experienced.
The adventure starts out with Valerie Swanson talking to all her FaceBase followers. Valerie wants her to cyber-bully a girl named Cora for a petty vendetta. Her followers do, Cora is upset, and Valerie gets in trouble with her parents. Her parents decide that Mr. Whittaker should decide Valerie's punishment. Mr. Wittaker decides that Valerie should have a room of consequence adventure to the inside of her mind. Valerie (of course) objects, but after hearing that she would otherwise be grounded for six weeks, reluctantly agrees.
- This story was really unique. What did you like most about it? Is there anything you didn't like?
- Name a few of the "thought trains" that commonly run on the tracks of your mind.
- Whit asked Valerie, "How do you know when something is the truth and when it's a lie?" How would you answer that question? How can 1 John 4:1-6 help us tell them apart?
- Were you surprised to discover that Valerie wasn't always a mean girl? What did you learn about her that may explain why she treats others badly?
- Cora's remarks hurt Valerie's feelings. When have someone's comments deeply affected you in a positive or a negative way? What does James 3:7-12 say about choosing our words carefully?
- Why do you think the senators stopped doing their job and let lies pour into the city without judging them? How can the same thing happen to us if we're not careful?
- What was the name of the massive lie controlling Valerie's other thoughts? Read 1 Corinthians 3:16-17, Ephesians 2:10, John 15:7-8 and 1 John 3:1 for some idea of how much God values you.
- Why do you think the Bible talks so much about truth? Discuss John 8:31-32 and how the Truth—Jesus Christ—sets us free.
- Valerie liked to paint. So what hobbies do you enjoy? Is there a fun parent-child activity you haven't shared in a while that you could revisit?
- The Odyssey Team describes this episode as being "Inside Out-style", in reference to the Pixar film of that name.
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».