It’s male bonding time. Whit, Tom, Bernard, and Eugene are going on a camping trip together. Tom and Bernard aren’t thrilled about Eugene coming along, though. They believe he will ruin the trip. Indeed, Eugene does manage to smash their emergency radio and lead a bear to their camp.
But on the whole, Tom and Bernard’s barely disguised displeasure is barely noticed by Eugene. He is gratified at having the opportunity to commune with nature, and with “the guys.”
Unfortunately, the foursome has picked one of the worst times of the year to go camping, flood season. The flood flashes up right on schedule, stranding the intrepid campers behind a 10-foot wall of water, nearly sweeping Tom away! Tom grabs on to a tree branch, which stretches over the rushing water.
Things look bad until Eugene comes up with a plan to save Tom. The plan means Eugene will have to risk his own safety. Eugene climbs out onto the branch with a long rope and helps Tom to loop it around himself. Whit, Bernard, and Eugene manage to pull Tom to the riverbank. Tom apologizes to Eugene for making fun of him, and everyone learns why it’s important to be prepared.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why didn’t Tom and Bernard want Eugene to go along with them on the camping trip?
- Why is it a bad idea to throw food around in the forest?
- Have you ever been treated like Tom and Bernard treated Eugene?
- Is there someone in your life with whom you are being less than patient?
Heard in episode
|Bernard Walton||Dave Madden|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Eugene Meltsner||Will Ryan|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Park Ranger||Chuck Bolte|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
- This is Connie's 100th episode, not counting behind-the-scenes and retrospective shows.
- This is Hal Smith's 200th episode acting.
- Part of the script for this episode would later be used by Chuck Bolte for Paul Herlinger's audition for the part of Whit in 1996. (Bolte would play Bernard to Herlinger's Whit.)
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
- This episode is included as a bonus on the DVD for Once Upon an Avalanche.
Eugene Meltsner: Begone, O ursine creature! Begone, O forest dweller! Stay away! Get thee hence!