A Forgiving Heart
“A Forgiving Heart,” an Adventures in Odyssey Club exclusive, is episode #798 of the Adventures in Odyssey audio series. It was written and directed by Phil Lollar, and was originally released on October 1, 2016.
Renee's aunt moves to Odyssey to open a veterinary clinic, but a figure from her past threatens to ruin the celebration.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
Heard in episode
|Patricia Carter||Stephanie Erb|
|Renee Carter||Amy Pemberton|
|John Whittaker||Andre Stojka|
|Wilfred Norcomb||Tim Halligan|
|Sue the Newscaster||Unknown|
|Ted Humphries||Keith Ferguson|
- This is Ted Humphries’ first episode since #692: “A Penny Saved”, five years earlier.
- This episode reuses music from Life Expectancy.
- If you could have any animal in the world for a pet, what would you choose? Why?
- Have you ever wanted to grow up and have a full-time job working with animals? If so, what kind of job? What kind of animals?
- Whit pointed out that we all handle grief differently. Talk about some of the ways people cope with loss or sadness. Which ones are healthy? Which are unhealthy?
- Norcomb tried to destroy Dr. Pat’s reputation by saying bad things about her. How do kids today use words to get even with people? Have you ever been tempted to do that? Can you recall a time when someone did it to you? How did it make you feel?
- In your own words, define “revenge.” Can you think of a character in a movie who was driven by vengeance? What happened? See what the Bible has to say about revenge in Proverbs 20:22, Leviticus 19:18, Romans 12:17-21, Luke 6:27-31 and 9:54-55.
- How did you feel when Dr. Pat finally told Renee the painful truth she had hidden for years? Were you surprised by Renee’s reaction? Together read Psalm 32:1-5. What did David decide was a better way to handle sin than trying to hide it?
- What’s the difference between forgiving someone for eating your last candy bar and the kind of mistake Renee needed to forgive? Do you think God sees them any differently? Consider Jesus’ parable in Matthew 18:21-35.
- Name several benefits of forgiveness. What consequences did Norcomb suffer by holding a grudge? Then read Matthew 6:14-15 for the ultimate reason to forgive others.
- Do you need to ask someone for forgiveness? Or do you need a big do-over like Renee’s aunt received when she moved to Odyssey? Take a moment to ask God to show you how you can move toward healing, confident that “if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come” (2 Corinthians 5:17).
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».