Liz is in the Room of Consequence, where Whit is trying out a new program. Liz gets to be the lab rat. She is sent three years into her future. Since it’s not a time machine, it’s simply a possible future for her. The idea is that you see a consequence of a choice before you see the choice itself.
- When Liz arrives in the future, she wakes up in the hospital. The nurse says she suffered a blow to her head and the police are waiting to question her.
- Traveling back in time thirty minutes, Liz finds herself mopping the floor at Pete's Gas and Chow. Norton Hollingsworth, a former classmate from Odyssey Middle School bursts in to rob the convenience store. Norton claims that Liz owes him a dollar, which Liz doesn't understand. She walks back into the store but slips and falls on the freshly-mopped floor.
- Liz then travels back in time three years. She arrives at Mandy’s house as police are escorting Norton out in handcuffs; he broke into their house to steal their television.
- After time backs up another few minutes, Liz sees that it was herself who found him at the house in the first place: she must have called the police.
- A day before this incident, Liz is at the Bones of Rath clubhouse. She overhears Norton trying to join the Bones by getting a television for their clubhouse. He tells Rodney Rathbone that his family loaned a television to Mandy’s family. He’s told to get it back, even though they’re on vacation. Liz wonders how all of these things involve her and how a choice she made has anything to do with Norton.
- The next time reverse allows Liz to see Rodney recruiting Norton into the Bones of Rath after Norton had a bad experience on the bus. Liz warns Norton against joining but Norton is clearly interested.
- Traveling back fifteen minutes prior, Liz then sees that she was someone who influenced Norton to try to find friends like Rodney in the first place: she let him be humiliated on the bus without defending him.
- Three minutes into the past, Liz sees that Norton offered her a dollar if she will only sit next to him on the bus. She takes the dollar but refuses to defend him when the other kids bully him. Realizing that this is how Norton began down his dark path, however, she changes her mind and defends Norton against the others, asking him to sit beside her even if the other kids make fun of her.
- When time is fast-forwarded, Liz finds herself in a different timeline in which she is now friends with Norton, who hasn’t joined the Bones of Rath after all due to her friendship.
Once the adventure is over, Whit reveals that the character of Norton is based on an actual kid in town who helped Liz pick up her school books the day before. Going downstairs to make a friend, Liz asks Whit to make Norton a sundae — a sundae that costs a dollar.
- Who was Norton becoming friends with?
- What did he have to do for them to be included?
- . Liz befriended Norton and stuck up for him when no one else would. What can you do to make new friends and help others feel included?
- . Was it Liz’s fault Norton turned out so bad?
Heard in episode
- This is Adventures in Odyssey's first backwards episode.
- The ending surprise of a in-universe character from the Room of Consequence being based on a real-world character is a plot device used previously in #415: “Gloobers” (as well as its video remake, Escape from the Forbidden Matrix).
QuotesLiz Horton: Oh man! I'm being held up by a serial head hitter.
Norton Hollingsworth: Would you let that go?! I'm not going to hit you.
Liz Horton: That's him! That's the guy who robbed me.
Police Officer: He robbed you?
Liz Horton: Oh, it's not going to happen for another three years.
Norton Hollingsworth: You want me to break into their house and take their TV?
Rodney Rathbone: No, I want you to break into their house and water their plants for them!