- This article is about the episode. For the video game, see Gloobers (video game).
The dynamic duo of Dwayne Oswald and Jared DeWhite are at Whit's End, where Dwayne watches in amazement as Jared enthusiastically plays another round of Gloobers, a video game he plays a lot. Eugene Meltsner invites the boys to be the first to try out his new Room of Consequences adventure, which has recreated the Gloobers video game in virtual reality. Assured that the safety protocols are activated, Dwayne and Jared agree and enter the adventure.
They play through level four, acquiring gravity boots, but Jared soon tires of playing the same game over and over and decides to deactivate the safety protocols. With the safety protocols deactivated, the game is much harder, and the Gloobers are twice as big. The Gloobers tickle Dwayne and Jared until they collapse into giggling fits. They find themselves in the forbidden matrix, in the presence of the Master Brain. The Master Brain offers Dwayne and Jared the opportunity to have unlimited access to his Game Room, allowing them to play any game any time they like. The only thing they must give in return is their time. Dwayne has doubts because they won't have time to do anything else, but Jared readily agrees. When a Game Warden tries to fit the boys with helmets that will control their movement, Dwayne fights back and calls out to Eugene for help, landing them in a detention cell.
In the cell, they meet an old man named Gregory who describes how he wasted his life playing video games and explains that the Master Brain survives by sucking the life out of kids who waste their time playing his games. The only way he can be stopped is to unplug his power life supply. With Gregory's warning fresh in their minds, Dwayne and Jared escape. The boys reach the Master Brain and are about to unplug him when the Brain affixes them to the floor with their gravity boots. He offers Jared a special game and the ultimate treasure in exchange for his time. Jared tricks the Brain into releasing the gravity and pulls the plug on the Master Brain.
Back at Whit's End, the boys warn Eugene to unhook the game because of its danger, but Eugene explains that he and Whit created the game to help the kids get over their obsession with playing video games. Eugene reminds them that time is a precious gift, not to be wasted, and introduces them to the creator of the game: Gregory.
- What’s wrong with spending all our spare time playing video games?
- Does this mean we shouldn’t play them at all?
- What’s a good time limit on playing?
- Eugene says that time is a gift from God. What does it mean to be a good steward of the time God gives us?
- What are some ways we can use our time in a way that pleases God?
|Jared DeWhite||Brandon Gilberstadt|
|Dwayne Oswald||Kris Kachurak|
|Eugene Meltsner||Will Ryan|
|Game Warden||Will Ryan|
|Mr. Brain/Master||Pete Reneday|
- This episode was inspired by a nightmare that writer John Beebee's kid had, where he was trapped inside Chip's Challenge, a video game he had been playing a lot of.
- This episode was made into a video: Escape from the Forbidden Matrix and into the computer game, The Great Escape.
- The idea of the 'living brain' may have come from A Wrinkle in Time.
- Dwayne (or Sal Martinez in "Escape from the Forbidden Matrix") says, "I got a bad feeling about this," a common quote from the Star Wars universe. List of Star Wars references
QuotesGregory: When you waste your time, you waste your life.
Dwayne Oswald: It's a brain!
Jared DeWhite: Yuck!
Dwayne Oswald: It must have laughed its head off!
Dwayne Oswald: Yes, of course. We'll giggle with dignity.
Dwayne Oswald: I'm sorry I had to sit on you, but it was for the best.
Jared DeWhite: Dwayne? Are we alive?
Dwayne Oswald: Yeah. Unless Heaven has linoleum floors.
Jared DeWhite: This is a no brainer! <to Mr. Brain> Uh, n-no offense.
Mr. Brain: None taken.
Dwayne Oswald: Keep talking, Jared! That way I'll know where to kick!!
Jared DeWhite: Hey, look! It made us casserole!
Dwayne Oswald: The gloobers are coming! The gloobers are coming!