Chores No More
Julie and Heather are talking on the phone and Julie invites Heather to a movie. After consulting her mother, however, Heather can’t go because she hasn’t finished her chores. Heather, Julie, Dwayne, and Ivan meet at Whit's End the next day to gripe about the amount of chores they have to do at home. Whit explains that chores are important to help children feel like part of the family and to learn responsibility. He suggests that if they really feel that they have too many chores, they should talk to their parents about it.
This sounds like a great idea, so the four make their presentations in creative ways, but their parents are not impressed. Wondering what else to do, the kids decide to go on strike to prove their point. They invite all the kids of Odyssey to join along. The four plan to hold a rally and concert to kick off their one-day strike from chores.
As the strike draws closer, however, Heather ends up doing all the organizing because everyone else claims they are too busy. Heather's parents discover what the kids are planning and decide to go on strike themselves. Heather worries about this turn of events, but insists that they should still have the strike. With all the parents and kids on strike together, the day turns into more of a family day. Heather is totally exhausted from all her hard work, but learns her lesson: Chores teach us responsibility and prepare us for adulthood.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why didn't the kids want to do their chores?
- What did Whit tell Heather about chores?
- Heather ended up having to put the whole strike together herself. How do you think this is similar to why chores are important?
- What chores do you have to do? Why do you think your parents give you chores to do?
|Dan Acuff||Charles Knox Robinson|
|Dwayne Oswald||Kris Kachurak|
|Ivan Roller||Matthew Walberg|
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
|Julie Zeeke||Tracy Bassett|
|Karen Acuff||Ann Ault|
VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view] The album version added a number of conversations and scenes to this show. In the album version: Lines are added to the scene where the kids talk about the Star Wars-like movie and several of the scenes where the kids discuss the chore strike. [Chris]]'s ending comments are also longer.
- In Chores No More, when talking about a movie they saw last night, a character breathes and shields his voice like Darth Vader and says "Ivan, I am your father...and Mary Lou, the Ice Princess is your mother.
- Marshal Younger had written a different ending to this episode, but it was changed. The original ending was: the first conclusion did not have a crowd gathered to hold the protest. Because of all of the parents wanting to get involved, all the kids got freaked out and decided not to protest themselves. As a result, Heather was out there all by herself, feeling humiliated, but still walking in a circle with a picket sign and saying very softly, "Chores no more." Then, her parents call out the window, "Heather, you need to do the dishes." She pauses, sighs and says, "Coming."
- This episode introduces Dwayne Oswald.
- There are evidently two Heathers in Odyssey, both of whom are close friends with Julie.
QuotesIvan: Allow me to quote from scripture... "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." Now, I realize that I'm not Jack, and that wasn't scripture, but I think that pretty much says it all.
Dwayne Oswald: Chores are the hands that squeeze my neck! The twisted metal of an emotional car wreck!
Dwayne Oswald: Ivan, I am your father.
Ivan: My father?
Dwayne Oswald: Yes, and Mary Lou, the Ice Princess is your mother.
Dwayne Oswald: It's a hard thing to really verbalize you know? Because the way I feel about chores is something that's very emotional to me. I think maybe I had a bad experience with chores as a child. And it's something I have to block out mentally now. So horrible. Cause lately I've been having these nightmares. This huge vacuum cleaner sucks up dirt off the floor, then it starts going out of control. Beginning to suck up the furniture, and small appliances and finally it starts sucking the life out of me!