The Toy Man
Whit has desperately been trying to find someone to run Whit's End Connellsville, but capable people are hard to come by. Ed Washington (whom everyone calls "The Toy Man") visits Whit’s End with a chest of toys from his company. As the kids crowd around, Whit jokingly offers him the job. Ed laughs it off.
At home, Ed brings more toys home to his family...his wife Elaine, son Marvin, daughter Tamika, and teenage nephew Xavier. Playing with the toys gives Ed an idea. The next day he presents an idea to the company board about toys that parents and kids can use together. The board turns the ideas down and Ed’s boss (Mr. Green) wants to see him in his office in a few days.
Ed talks to his family and Whit. He wonders if it’s time for a lifestyle change...maybe even taking over Whit's End Connellsville. Whit thinks he’s the perfect man for the job. Elaine is concerned for the family, but supportive. Xavier doesn’t like the idea because he thinks that is giving up a dream job.
Ed meets with Mr. Green who promotes him, much to Ed’s surprise. Elaine tells Ed that he should do what he feels is God’s will. Ed decides to do a trial run at Whit's End Connellsville. He runs the shop by himself for an afternoon and sets off a frenzy by accidentally advertising free ice cream. It looks like total a catastrophe until he gets a chance to have some time playing with a few of the kids there. Xavier tells Ed that he still doesn't like the idea, but he thinks Ed would be great.
Ed shows Whit how he would make Whit's End Connellsville into his own place. Whit tells Ed that the job is his, if he wants it. Ed pauses for a moment...and then accepts.
- Ed said, "My life is not a political statement. It’s a statement about the faithfulness of God." What did he mean?
- Why was Ed’s decision so tough?
- Do you think he made the right decision?
- It may seem like a long time until you’ll have to make career decisions, but there are important decisions that you make every day.
- What’s an important decision you’ve had to make recently?
- How did you consider God’s will while making it?
- Do you think toys sometimes keep kids away from time with their families?
Heard in episode
- This show introduces the Washington family.
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
QuotesTamika Washington: I think it'd be fun for you to work at Whit's End.
Marvin Washington: Me, too. We could get free ice cream instead of free toys!
Xavier Washington: What's the deal? Is the ice cream that good?
Ed Washington: I don't know, but you can't really go wrong when it's free!
Xavier Washington: Free?! Mr. Whittaker said you could give the ice cream away for free?
Ed Washington: No! It was sort of my idea!
Xavier Washington: Are you sure it was a good one?
Ed Washington: No, I'm pretty sure it wasn't! I'm gonna bankrupt the shop, and I don't even work here!