Sounds Like a Mystery
The "Celebration of Liberty" Traveling Exhibit has come to Odyssey, courtesy of John Avery Whittaker. The primary attraction of this exhibit: an original model of the Statue of Liberty, valued at over $7 million. Unfortunately, the priceless piece of history attracts more than just art-loving citizens, and is stolen right through the fingers of the nationally-recognized Collins Security Agency.
When Sgt. Beverly Collins and the Odyssey Police investigate the crime, it appears that Nick Mulligan may have stolen the figure! Though Nick attempts to shift the blame by lying about his whereabouts, the truth comes out via Whit’s security videotape. Though Nick is proved innocent of the crime, his relationship with Whit is damaged by untruthfulness.
The following morning Whit and Nick arrive at Whit's End and discover that someone has broken in, and stolen the security videotape! However, Whit’s new audio monitoring system comes into play, leading to new suspects, a kidnapping, and an important lesson in truth and trust.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why did Nick lie about where he had been?
- Why did the officer steal the Statue?
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
|Nick Mulligan||Chris Castile|
|Captain Richard Quinn||Kenneth Mars|
|Sgt. Beverly Collins||Deborah Marlowe|
|Rodney Rathbone||Steve Burns|
|Link Wainwright||Dave Arnold|
- Link Wainwright may be a reference to the Wainwright name in "It's a Wonderful Life".
- Rodney's allergy to macadamia nuts was first revealed in #466: “Snow Day”.
- The break-in Whit refers to when talking to Nick about the phone recorders occurred in #492: “Twisting Pathway”, when Novacom stole the Imagination Station.
- The skylight at Whit's End makes its first episode appearance in 9 years, having been featured last in #306: “A Victim of Circumstance” when it was originally installed.
QuotesCaptain Richard Quinn: We just got word that some kid was seen running through the exhibit soon after the bomb went off. He's about 5'8",with curly blonde hair and a green T-shirt that says "I love my barking tree frog".
Nick Mulligan: What?
Sgt. Beverly Collins: I think we've got a suspect. I'll get back to you. Over and out. Nick!
Nick Mulligan: Do we know anyone that sneezes like that?
John Whittaker: I don't recognize it.
Nick Mulligan: If only I could identify that sneeze. I think we could nail this guy!
Captain Richard Quinn: So where's the statue now?
Rodney Rathbone: Right over there.
John Whittaker: What?
Rodney Rathbone: I was using it to hold up the antenna on my TV!
Sgt. Beverly Collins: Quinn! How did he know? Who could've tipped him off?!
Nick Mulligan: <through the phone> That would be me!
Nick Mulligan: Another typical day in Odyssey.
John Whittaker: Yeah.
John Whittaker: You know, it's something I've seen over the years—the truth will set you free, but a lie will always catch you.
Nick Mulligan: I hope I can someday win back that trust you were talkin' about.
John Whittaker: Nick, you're well on your way.