My Girl, Hallie
KYDS Radio presents another too-fun-to-call-it-freaky episode of "The Twilife Zone!" Narrator John Whittaker introduces Joey Patrick, "an average boy in an average town"... until one day everything changes.
Concerned about his slow learning curve, Joey’s parents buy him the world’s first "bio-circuitry-enhanced learning machine." It’s a truly impressive computer, able to help Joey finish papers and do school research faster than ever before. Soon he makes it onto the Honor Roll; but he ignores his friends and misses their foursquare games. Soon, "Hallie" — the name Joey gives the machine — becomes his only companion.
Truly strange things begin to happen. Joey talks in the cyber-like speech he learned from "Hallie," while "she" sounds more human! Even Joey’s mom cannot get through to him. Yet, when "Hallie" goes one step too far, Joey finally sees how much control he has given "her." He unplugs the computer and goes back to the playground... but is it too late?
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Was it good that Joey’s computer was so fast and cool? Why or why not?
- What is idolatry? How did Joey "idolize" his computer?
- Have you ever lost time with your friends because of playing video games or doing other things by yourself?
|Joey Patrick||Corey Padnos|
|Mrs. Patrick||Chris Anthony|
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
- When the writers wrote the script for this episode, they got to the ending, and they thought it was a bit too spooky for Odyssey, so they wrote another ending. However, they had ANOTHER problem—an episode with two endings. Which one would they use? They decided to let the fans vote on two possible endings. Both endings are included in the album.
- In the original ending mentioned above, Joey pulls the plug and Hallie becomes the kid while Joey becomes the computer.
- The name of the computer "Hallie" is a reference to the computer Hal from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- The basic plot may have come from the "Choose Your Own Adventure" book, "Supercomputer."
- Parody of the show the Twilight Zone.
- Whit's narration in different parts of the episode is similar to the way Rod Serling narrated.
- The beginning of the episode Whit says "Do not adjust your radio. We are in control. You're abut to enter a different place and yet one that isn't so different. It's a dimension of sight and sound and of mind. A land of shadows, substance, and a lot of weirdness. You've just crossed over into the Twilife Zone." This is similar to the theme of the Twilight Zone.
QuotesWhit: Do not adjust your radio. We are in control. You're about to enter a different place and yet one that isn't so different. It's a dimension of sight and sound and of mind. A land of shadows, substance, and a lot of weirdness. You've just crossed over into the Twilife Zone.
Joey Patrick: Hmmm, now where am I going to put this juice? Too bad you don't have a cup holder, Hallie.
Hallie: Cup holder activated.
Joey Patrick: What?
Mrs. Patrick: Joseph Patrick, I've had enough of this! I have been calling your cell phone and e-mailing you for a half hour. Why is this door locked? Open it this minute!
Joey Patrick: Just one moment... I am 55% of the way to the door.