A Member of the Family, Part 2 (FP)
After the seemingly surprise visit from Jana, Whit tries to explain everything to her. But she refuses to listen, and the discussion quickly turns into an argument. Angry, she goes upstairs to find Monty, but he isn't there. He has run away! Jana tells Whit what has happened and they leave for the police station. They arrive and try to report Monty's disappearance, but he is already there. He was picked up for breaking a window at Whit's End. The three return to Whit's house to sort everything out.
After talking to Monty, they send him to his room, and father and daughter are finally left alone. Whit begins to explain some Whittaker family history to Jana. Whit begins to talk to her about when her brother, Jerry, died in Vietnam, they all grieved differently. Whit spent much more time with Jason, his only remaining son, partly because he missed Jerry so much, and partly because Jason would soon be of draft age himself. Unintentionally, Jana was lost in the whole ordeal, and before Whit knew what happened, there was a huge emotional gap between them. Whit tells her that he would like to fill that gap, and Jana agrees. For the first time in years, they both are happy — except for Monty, who has to mow lawns so he can pay his grandfather back for the window.
Discussion Questions are not available for episodes in the Family Portraits collection. This list is from the re-airred version.
- Do you think Whit had a good reason to spank Monty?
- What does the Bible say about spanking?
- Could Whit have handled the situation in any other way? Explain your answers.
- Why was Jana so angry with Whit?
- Why was Monty so rude to Whit and Tom?
- What mistakes did Whit make in raising Jana?
- How could he have avoided those mistakes?
- Corrected them?
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Jana Whittaker-Dowd||D.J. Harner|
|Monty Whittaker-Dowd||Chad Reisser|
- On the Family Portraits tape (and the digital download) these two episodes are put together uninterrupted on one side of the tape.
- Dr. Dobson and Mike Trout comment on the merits of Hal Smith at the end of this episode. After the FOTF broadcast, Dr. Dobson added extra comments for children.
- This episode was re-aired as #18: “A Member of the Family, Part 2”.
- This episode includes the first mention of Jerry Whittaker in the series.
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».