A Member of the Family, Part 1 (FP)
This episode starts with Whit and Tom waiting at the airport for Monty Whittaker-Dowd, Whit's grandson who is visiting for the summer. But much to Whit's surprise and dismay, Monty turns out to be a rude and spoiled brat. After much conflict between the two of them, Whit applies a few house rules which he hopes will set Monty straight.
The next day, Whit takes his grandson to Whit's End to earn a bit of spending money. After Monty is told what to do, he waits for Whit to leave, and decides that he doesn't want to work for the money. Or to be there at all! Monty calls his mom and lies about how Whit is mistreating him and demands that she pick him up immediately. Jana refuses, saying she can't pick him up for another week. Angry, Monty slams the phone down and cons a Whit's End employee to open up the cash register and give him some money. Monty then leaves for the movies, very pleased with himself.
When Whit finds out, he does not spare the rod on his grandson. Afterward, Whit explains to Monty why he had to be spanked. Monty responds positively. After this, Monty finally starts having fun and even joins up with The Odyssey Coyotes, completely forgetting that he ever called his mother. Everything seems to be going well until Jana finally shows up, very upset.
Discussion Questions are not available for episodes in the Family Portraits collection. This list is from the re-airred version.
- Do you think Whit had a good reason to spank Monty?
- What does the Bible say about spanking?
- Could Whit have handled the situation in any other way?
- Explain your answers.
- Why was Jana so angry with Whit?
- Why was Monty so rude to Whit and Tom?
- What mistakes did Whit make in raising Jana?
- How could he have avoided those mistakes?
- Corrected them?
Heard in episode
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
|Monty Whittaker-Dowd||Chad Reisser|
|Jana Whittaker-Dowd||D.J. Harner|
Mentioned in episode
|Phil Dowd||Tom Riley|
|Jenny Whittaker-Dowd||Tom Riley|
|Jerry Whittaker||John Whittaker|
|Jason Whittaker||John Whittaker|
|Heather Bullock||Tom Riley|
- This is the first two-parter in Odyssey history.
- At the beginning of this episode, Whit says he hasn't seen his grandchildren (Monty and Jenny) in three years.
- Jana and Monty show up for the first time in this episode. Whit's many conflicts with Jana are revealed in this episode. Jerry's death in Vietnam and Whit's son Jason are also revealed.
- Whit gets very angry for the first time in this episode.
- On the Family Portraits tape, these two episodes are put together uninterrupted on one side of the tape to make room for A Simple Addition (FP)
- This episode is flashbacked in #212: “The Mortal Coil, Part 2”. This episode was re-aired as #17: “A Member of the Family, Part 1”.
- The song that Monty turns up loud is "Another Crossroads" by Petra off the album Back to the Street. We can assume that Monty is a Christian, so he would indeed be listening to the popular bands of the day. However, living in California and the overall tone we get from the character of Monty, one would assume that he would be listening to secular music more than Christian Rock. The producers were probably looking for something hard and logically chose Petra.
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».