A Simple Addition (FP)
In an effort to get attention, young Nicky Rogers does whatever he can to get his parents to stop thinking about their soon-to-be-born child.
The Rogers household is about to add a new member, and Joe and Shelly are happy about the prospect of having a baby. But four-year-old Nicky is only excited about the prospect of getting some new boots. Joe promises Nicky they will go shopping, but before they can, Shelly goes into labor. They all rush to the hospital, and Shannon Rogers comes into the world. Everyone is excited, except Nicky. He'd rather have his boots. Nicky feels even worse when Joe and Shelly bring little Shannon home. Shannon gets Nicky's old baby bed and pacifier (thoroughly sanitized, of course), not to mention most of Joe and Shelly's attention. Nick feels rejected and seeks comfort from the only family member who will still listen to him: Jingle Bells, the dog.
A few hours later, Joe finds Nicky and talks with him about his responsibilities as a new big brother. Joe reassures Nicky that his parents still love him more than ever. Nicky feels better and even gets a little excited about being a big brother. But he still wants his boots. Just then, a package arrives for Nicky from his grandparents, who are missionaries in Brazil. Inside the package is a pair of boots. God knew all along.
- Discussion Questions are not available for episodes in the Family Portraits collection.
Heard in episode
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
- Dr. Dobson mentions the "possibilities" of making another series from Family Portraits. They received 4965 letters about Family Portraits. 4771 (96.1%) were positive and 194 (3.9%) were negative. Dr. Dobson reads a few of the letters on the air.
- This episode was re-aired as #22: “A Simple Addition”.
- This episode concludes the Family Portraits series.
- Whit tells Jimmy, an early Whit's End employee, to lockup the store in this episode.
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».