There is a great commotion in the Odyssey Middle School lunchroom. Stewart LaFaye and Doug Underwood, the school bullies, after some convincing, persuade Cody Carper to eat a disgusting sandwich. That afternoon at Whit’s End, Cody's father, Richard, tells Whit about the difficulties Cody has had making friends since they moved to Odyssey and asks Whit to help Cody if he can.
Later, however, Cody tries to befriend Stewart and Doug and become part of their special club by giving them his prize possessions and agreeing to attend their club meeting. When Cody gets to the address they give for the meeting, he discovers that the boys have sent him to a women's aerobics class.
Whit explains to Cody that he doesn't have to be a pushover just to get friends, and that he needs to have more confidence in himself. Whit also tries to help Jared DeWhite, a boy who struggles with trying to tell everyone how to do everything "the right way" - his way. Whit sends Cody and Jared on a mission to Tom’s farm. They set out but get lost because Jared does not follow the map Whit gave them. Whit later finds them along the path and Cody and Jared learn the lesson that they need to cooperate to get the task done: the one who is used to leading must be the follower and the one who is used to following must take the lead. With new-found confidence, Cody confronts Doug and asks for his things back.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why did Cody want to join Doug and Stewart's "club?"
- Jared thought he knew how to read a map. Should Cody have let him have the map?
- Why do you think Whit sent the two boys together on their quest? What did each of them learn?
|Cody Carper||Landon Arnold|
|Doug Underwood||Vrezch Oganisyan|
|Jared DeWhite||Brandon Gilberstadt|
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
|Mrs. Johnson||Bethany Stokka|
|Richard Carper||Bill Farmer|
|Sarah Prachett||Scarlett Pomers|
|Stewart LaFaye||Acey Dubow|
- VERSION DIFFERENCE: The album version added a number of conversations and scenes to this show. In the album version: Lines are added to the scene where Whit and Jared talk about Jared's brother, the scene where Whit sends the team of Jared and Cody, and the scene where Jared and Cody are on the path.
- This episode mentions Jared's little brother, Trent, who first appeared in #517: “It's All About Me”, which aired five and a half years after this one. (Amusingly enough, there seems to be a bit of an age change-up. In this episode Jared says his brother is 'almost two', and Jared is somewhere around twelve. When Trent finally appears, the age gap seems to be much smaller than the indicated ten years)
- This episode introduces Jared DeWhite, Sarah Prachett, and Cody Carper.
QuotesJohn Whittaker: Do you really think this is the best way to get friends? To buy them by giving away a car and a bat?
Cody Carper: Well...it seemed like a good idea at the time.
John Whittaker: Do you know what gullible is?
Cody Carper: Isn't that a kind of fish?
Jared DeWhite: Now I wasn't spying or anything, but why does Cody let people do that? If someone did that to me, I'd tell 'em to go take a hike.
John Whittaker: You probably would, wouldn't you? And give 'em directions, too!
Jared DeWhite: Oh, I'm not very good at maps. Whenever I try to use the one at the mall, I always end up at the pregnant women's clothing store.
Cody Carper: It's coming closer!
Jared DeWhite: I think it sees us. It's a bear!
Jared DeWhite: What was that?
Cody Carper: A sheep.
Jared DeWhite: A sheep? Like Mary had a little sheep?