It’s not news that Zachary Sellers is having a hard time getting over his dad’s death. But just when he seems to be coping, a new wrinkle develops: His mom, Eileen, begins seeing a new man. His name is Blake Anderson, and he works with Eileen. Blake has a daughter, Jill, who is Zach’s age, and Blake’s wife died of cancer two years ago. Zach tries to be pleasant to Blake, but he is still clinging to the memory of his father.
Blake tries to win Zach over and seems to make a little headway. Blake takes Zach to the mall in Connellsville. When Blake sees a Fast Pitch game, he tells Zach that he was a star pitcher in college. To prove it, Blake shows off his fast ball, wrenching his shoulder in the process. Zach cracks up and starts to warm up to Blake, until Blake suggests that the two of them go see a baseball game together sometime. Suddenly, Zach turns cold as ice again because his dad used to take him to baseball games.
Later, Zach talks with his mom about Blake. Zach wants to know if Eileen and Blake are going to get married. Eileen says she likes Blake, but it’s too soon to talk about marriage. She also reassures Zach that just because she may like, and even love, another man doesn’t mean she will ever stop loving Zach’s father. She hasn’t forgotten the past, she just doesn’t want to live there anymore. Eventually, Zach realizes his mom is right, and he even begins to admire Blake when he drives them to Zach’s dad’s grave site, two hours away. Zach knows it’s time to let go and move forward.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Blake told Zach, “There are more people involved here than just you.” What did he mean by that?
- Is it wrong to try to keep memories of a deceased loved one fresh in your mind?
- Explain your answer.
- What’s the difference between cherishing the past and living in it?
- Read Psalm 147: Has God healed your broken heart?
Heard in episode
|Blake Anderson||Bill Myers|
|Eileen Sellars||Vaughn Taylor|
|Jill Anderson||Whitney Aaron|
|Zachary Sellars||Chris Castile|
Mentioned in episode
|Jack Allen||Zachary Sellars|
|Eugene Meltsner||Zachary Sellars|
- Blake Anderson and Eileen Sellars are played by Bill Myers and Vaughn Taylor, who would later play Mike and Tracy Mulligan starting in #377: “Just Say Yes”.
- Zachary says that Eugene brought him home from Whit's End, but Eugene's car would not accommodate a wheelchair. Even the Whit's End delivery van would not be designed for a wheelchair.
- Zachary plays a video of his father's birthday party. In this video, Zachary's voice has changed. but when we first meet Zachary in The Truth About Zachary and again in A Touch of Healing, Part 1, his father is no longer living but his voice has not yet changed.
QuotesBlake Anderson: I used to have a 95 mph fastball!
Blake Anderson: What you think this is funny, do you?
Zachary Sellars: I’m surprised I’ve never heard of about your legendary 56 mph fastball!
Blake Anderson: Well, yah! It looks faster when you’re trying to hit it, I guess.
Eileen Sellars: Did I ever tell you what he did on our wedding day?
Zachary Sellars: I don't think so.
Eileen Sellars: We were standing at the alter about to say our "I dos". The preacher was speaking these moving and elegant words. And your father leaned over to me and whispered, 'You don't squeeze your toothpaste from the middle do you?'. I started laughing. There in my wedding dress in front of 300 people. I was cracking up.