Passages: Darien's Rise, Part 8
The battle in the land of Marus takes an ugly turn as former friends become enemies and allies become foes. Young Kyle starts to doubt that The Unseen One is really watching out for them. He wonders if a mysterious woman named Anastasia may be the key to returning home.
Darien returns to his men, who are tired of doing nothing. Baron Orkzy, a mercenary who needs protection meets Darien and asks if he will be his protector in exchange for better accommodations for him and his men. A spy named The Rat verifies that the Baron’s offer is good. The Baron is transporting canon parts to Monrovia. They assemble them there and then sell it to the Palatians.
Darien devises a plan to sabotage the cannon shipments. For three months, the plan works and only six canons make it through to Palatia. Darien and the Rat break into the Monrovian plant and take pictures of the canon plans.
Meanwhile as Darien and the Rat break into the Monrovian plant, Kyle and Anna receive lessons from a tutor. Anna continues to study the Sacred Scrolls. She believes the Unseen One will work out their going home or their staying. Kyle and Anna fight over the existence of the Unseen One. Kyle goes for a walk to think. The Rat tells him he knows someone that can help him get home.
While this is going on, the war continues. The nation of Palatia is tired of the deadlock war with Marus. They call in all debts from other nations, Monrovia being one of them. The Baron says the Adrian leaders are putting pressure on him. The Adrians want Darien and his men to stay with them and not go to the aid of their countrymen. If they agree to this they will be given a large portion of Marus’ northern counties and Darien will be installed as king.
Anna, meanwhile, finds a note from Kyle telling her he will be gone for a few days looking for a way home. Anna tells Darien of her dream and about Kyle leaving. Darien makes the decision to join the royal army. If Darien is wrong and is killed in this battle, then the Unseen One didn’t really choose him to be king.
- Anna read the Sacred Scrolls, while Kyle was bored and eventually questioned the Unseen One’s existence. Is it easier to believe in God when everything is going well or when things are going badly?
- Why is that?
- Read Proverbs 3:5-6. Are you more like Kyle or Anna?
- How does studying the Bible help you?
- The Rat did not believe in the Unseen One, and yet Kyle listened to him. How discerning are you when you speak with unbelievers?
- Do you think their words may influence you?
- Read Proverbs 12:5. Where should we go for advice?
- The baron offered Darien and his men a significantly large portion of Marus’ northern counties, with Darien as their king, if they would side with the Palatians.
- Why didn’t Darien accept the offer?
|Baron Orkzy||Kenneth Mars|
|Colonel Oliver||Chris Edgerly|
|General Liddell||Fred Tatasciore|
|John Whittaker||Andre Stojka|
|King Lawrence||Jim Cummings|
QuotesAnna: Being chosen doesn't mean doing exciting things all the time. It doesn't mean that we're always being used by the Unseen One [God]. Sometimes it means waiting and being patient.
Anna: But what if King Lawrence has you arrested — or you're killed?
Darien: Then we've all been terribly misled and the Unseen One didn't really choose me to be king.