Thirty Jays Hath September
After Jay breaks into Whit's End late at night, Whit sentences him to an unusual punishment - thirty days of kindness
When a video shoot at Whit's End goes horribly wrong, Jay and Brian find themselves in Mr. Whittaker's debt. How will they repay him? The answer: Thirty acts of kindness to the people of Odyssey-one every day for an entire month! Will they do a good job or make more trouble?
- What emotions do you think Whit experienced when he discovered the melted ice cream? Would getting angry have made things better or worse? Together, read Ephesians 4:31-32.
- Do you think Jay and Brian’s punishment was fair? Why or why not?
- What’s the kindest thing anyone has ever done for you? Did it make you want to do something kind for someone else?
- When Whit learned that Brian and Jay were taking shortcuts, he said, “The only person they’re cheating is themselves.” What did he mean by that?
- When assigned a task you really didn’t want to do, have you ever found yourself doing just enough to get by? How did that turn out?
- Based on Colossians 3:23-24, how should Christians approach work?
- How did you feel when you heard that Brian returned to Miss Carver's house? What do you think each of the boys learned from his experience?
- If your family sponsors a child like Abote, what do you enjoy most about that relationship? What sorts of things do you talk about in your letters back and forth?
- Whit explained that we develop habits—good or bad—by repetition. Do you have any bad habits you need to break? What about good habits you’d like to add to your life? How can repetition help?
- Despite Jay's crusty facade, Whit said he wouldn't give up on him or stop praying for him. Is there someone in your life who can be hard to love, but needs your patience and prayers?
|Jay Smouse||Whit Hertford|
|Brian McCarthy||Cullen McCarthy|
|John Whittaker||Andre Stojka|
|Camilla Parker||Michaela Dean|
|Demarkus' Mom||Niko Posey|
|Green Bean Donor||Jim Daly|
- Jay Smouse's eagerness to film a jingle for Burger Barn is somewhat reminiscent of Rodney Rathbone filming for America's Funniest Injuries in #557: “A Lamb's Tale”.
- In the background of Jim Daly’s scene in this episode, a broadcast of Focus on the Family can be heard.
QuotesJay Smouse: Ahh, Home sweet home. Hello, little Elvis doll
Elvis Doll: Hey Jay, little buddy. How are ya?
Jay Smouse: Mediocre, as usual… you know.
Elvis Doll: Yeah. Whatchya got there?
Jay Smouse: A letter. From a boy in Uganda. He writes that he liked my note, and he wants to be friends.
Elvis Doll: Hey, you can mark it "Return To Sender."
Jay Smouse: I actually thought I'd, uh, you know <pause> maby write him back.
Elvis Doll: Yeah, man. That's alright.
Jay Smouse: But lets… lets keep this to ourselves, okay… little Elvis? No sense in word getting out.
Elvis Doll: Hey, it's hard to live up to an image. I know.
Jay Smouse: Yeah. Exactamundo. Me two. <phone rings>