Donna Barclay gets the impression that her parents are headed for a divorce, so she sets up a plan to keep the two of them together!
Jessie Morales and Donna Barclay are walking home one day when they see a friend of theirs riding in a car with her mother. Jessie informs Donna that the friend’s parents are getting a divorce, then describes all of the symptoms that led up to their split. Donna is sympathetic, until Jessie implies that maybe Donna’s parents are suffering from the same symptoms.
Donna denies it, but when she gets home, George and Mary seem to live out the symptoms right before Donna’s eyes. Concerned, she talks to Jimmy about it. The two of them come up with a scheme to get their parents to sign a contract promising they will stay together.
George and Donna go on a business trip to Washington, D.C. where Donna becomes convinced that George is seeing another woman. She confronts a flabbergasted George, who tells Donna that just because he and Mary argue once in a while doesn’t mean they’re getting a divorce. To prove their love and commitment for one another, George and Mary renew their marriage vows in front of their kids and before God, which is better than a contract any day.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- What should Donna and Jimmy have done when they suspected their parents were having problems?
- Is arguing always unhealthy?
- Why or why not?
- Why is marriage so important to God?
|Caroll Porter||Phil Lollar|
|Donna Barclay||Azure Janosky|
|George Barclay||Chuck Bolte|
|Jessie Morales||Erin Morales|
|Jimmy Barclay||David Griffin|
|Mary Barclay||Patti Parris|
- During the introduction to this episode, Chris reads a book that is published by Phlollar Press, a reference to writer Phil Lollar.
- In the introductory dialogue, Jessie is raving to Donna about a documentary about the American Civil War that includes "nothing but pictures" — a likely reference to Ken Burns' 1990 PBS-TV documentary The Civil War.
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
QuotesDonna Barclay: I should've known better than to talk seriously to someone who plays basketball with his shorts.
Donna Barclay: I don't know why everyone says you're useless.
Jimmy Barclay: Ah, well, I... Wait a minute. Who's says I'm useless? Donna! Who says I'm useless? I'm not useless! I'm just a pest! Donna!
Jimmy Barclay: There's strange - like when you let rubber cement hang out of your nose in shop class, and then there's STRAAAANNGE — like when you put your clothes on backwards and sing Lydia, the Tattooed Lady outside a wedding.
Jimmy Barclay: Dad's going on a trip, and he wants to take me with him.
Donna Barclay: Oh, no!
Jessie Morales: <in flashback> He came home, picked up her little brother, and split.
Donna Barclay: Just like Wendy.
Jimmy Barclay: Donna?
Donna Barclay: Huh?
Jimmy Barclay: You okay? You look the way people look on TV when they're remembering what someone said in an earlier scene.
Jimmy Barclay: Donna! I'm supposed to be the one who comes up with the hare-brained ideas, remember?!