The Perfect Witness, Part 3
Katrina Shanks and Eugene work together to discover why someone stole his laptop computer and disks and erased his hard drive. They also wonder why the robbers would steal her knapsack, which also contained computer information.
Eugene remembers that he’d had information for a secret analysis report on his computer and disks. He and Katrina also remember that he’d given a copy to her, which she’d put in an envelope in her knapsack. Then they realize the thieves were after the report, not the money or the rare book. Eugene rushes off to warn Dr. Marcus because Eugene had given the professor a copy of the report. If that’s what the culprits were after, then Dr. Marcus may be in danger. Dr. Marcus is skeptical and unconcerned.
Later, in his office, Dr. Marcus argues with Russell Kosh. Marcus is furious that Kosh and Johns complicated what was supposed to be a simple robbery. Eugene suddenly arrives. Kosh hides while Eugene tells Dr. Marcus that he’s found another copy of the report. Dr. Marcus is pleased and tells Eugene what a brilliant report it is. The professor says he’ll be happy to use his influence to see that it’s published. Later, Marcus instructs Kosh to get to Eugene’s dorm room to steal the copy of the report. Kosh arrives, but the police are waiting there to arrest him. Dr. Marcus is also arrested.
In the end, Detective Ethan explains that Dr. Marcus had planned the whole scheme to steal Eugene’s report and take credit for its authorship. Dr. Marcus was convinced that the publication of the report would ensure his tenure at the university. It was supposed to be a simple plan but was foiled, thanks especially to Jenny. Jenny understands now how her blindness isn’t always a liability and she was, indeed, “The Perfect Witness.” Detective Ethan takes Jenny's arm and they walk off together to Whit's End for ice cream.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- What was the big mistake the robbers made in taking Jenny hostage?
- Have you ever misjudged anyone by their outward appearance?
- If so, what did you learn from your mistake?
- Why would Dr. Marcus stage an elaborate robbery simply to get tenure at the college where he worked?
PARENTS: This three-part mystery includes an armed robbery and kidnapping, which are played and replayed throughout all three parts. Although no one gets hurt in the episodes, they may be too intense for younger listeners.
- It's possible the highway being built in this episode is the planned highway that Philip Glossman wanted to build through Tom Riley's farm in #202: “Timmy's Cabin”.
- In this episode, Officer Stu is voiced by Steve Burns, who also plays Rodney Rathbone. The voice Steve Burns uses for Officer Stu is the same one used for Robert Mitchell, aka, Mitch, in the Novacom Saga. Ironically, Mitch ended up working in law enforcement, like Stu.
- Detective Ethan remarks, "I was told I couldn't come to Odyssey without having ice cream at a place called Whit's End." This implies that Ethan knows very little about Odyssey. If she's from the same county (where Odyssey is obviously a prominent town), can she really know so little about it? Odyssey is proven to be a prominent town in several episodes. However, it is highly probable that the Detective was joking, considering that Eugene worked there, and she likely would've known Whit's End was well known around town — plus, she sounds like she is laughing.
QuotesEugene Meltsner: Be forewarned: I am equipped with a very heavy paperweight -- and I am not afraid to use it!
Martin Franklin Johns: I haven't done anything. You have me confused with someone else. What's the charge?
Captain Richard Quinn: Suspicion of armed robbery and kidnapping.
Martin Franklin Johns: No way! It's a case of, you know, mistaken identity.
Detective Pat Ethan: Jenny, I know they kept saying you were the perfect hostage because you're blind. But as far as I'm concerned, you're the perfect witness.
Russel Kosh: I don't want trouble and I don't wanna have to hurt you.
Eugene Meltsner: Is that what you said to Jenny Roberts when you kidnapped her from Holstein's Bookstore?
Russel Kosh: Who?
Detective Pat Ethan: I think you know her better as Abraham Lincoln.
Eugene Meltsner: Then I shall apply all my faculties to help form a solution!
Captain Richard Quinn: Hmmm. Think about it too, please.
Captain Richard Quinn: Come on, Marty, gimme a break!
Martin Franklin Johns: Martin.
Eugene Meltsner: Have you come to erase everything else I own? My cassette tapes, a few pencil smudges?