The Great Wishy Woz, Part 1
KIDS Radio presents a familiar story with a new twist. After being thrown into a new land by a tornado, Dotty and her dog Nono try their best to get back home and meet many new friends along the way, including Manny Kin (played by Tom Riley), Metal Guy (played by Bernard Walton), and Mystic Mountain Lion (played by Jack Allen). They follow the "Big Fat Road"; from Little Land to the Really, Really Green and Environmentally Correct City. There the Great Wishy Woz sends them on a quest to four items. They face dangers from the Wicked and Mean and Generally Not Very Nice Woman, rusty hinges, and even burnt fur! Will they make it back to the Wishy Woz and get their wishes granted?
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- What was Manny Kin looking for on his quest?
- How about Metal Guy?
- And Mystic Mountain Lion?
- The Fairy Oddmother told Dotty that she should follow the Big Fat Road. Was that good advice?
- Why do you think that she didn't want Dotty talking to the fisherman?
VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view]
- This show was originally more than eleven minutes over the broadcast time, so significant cuts had to be made:
- However, a few scenes were able to remain intact for the album version, even though they had to be cut from the broadcast version:
- Extended laugh scenes in Little Land
- A full version of Follow the Big Fat Road by the Littles
- More jokes by the Fairy Oddmother
- A few more lines in the scenes where Metal Guy and Mystic Mountain Lion are introduced
- This two-part episode is unique in many ways, especially since it's a musical. John Beebee wrote the song lyrics and came up with the tunes. He then sang them for John Campbell over the phone, who scored the songs and provided scratch tracks, or tapes of the music for the actors to practice with ahead of time. The songs include:
- Though Mandy's family was still very much intact at this time in AIO, the premise of Dotty's parents divorcing foreshadowed the trouble Mandy's parents would go through later on.
- This entire two-part episode is a parody of The Wizard of Oz. E.g., Dotty is Dorthy, Nono is Toto, Little Land is Munchkin Land, etc.
- This show was John Beebee's directorial debut.
- The name Aunt Bea from this episode is a reference to the character of the same name on the The Andy Griffith show, on which the original Whit actor Hal Smith played Otis.
- Metal Guy's line from this episode "I'm looking for love -- in all the wrong places apparently," is a reference to the Johnny Lee song "Lookin' for Love."
- Fairy Oddmother's warning to Dotty in this episode about being back before 12 ("from the wrong story") is a reference to Cinderella.
- The inverted word order of Mystic Mountain Lion's dialogue heard in these episodes is most likely based on the similar language heard from the character of Yoda in the Star Wars movies.
- See main article: List of Star Wars references
- The "Follow the Big Fat Road" song from this episode contains a few bars from the Christmas song Deck the Halls.
QuotesDotty: Oh! How Curious!
Metal Guy: Now isn't that just peachy keen. So I'm a road-side curiosity now, huh?
Mystic Mountain Lion: And so, my question this ponder; what is truth? For truth, truly true truth, is found in the cow, in the strawberry, and the giant tooky-tooky bird. In all of us is found truth. In our left earlobe, it is found. In our bellybutton, it is found.
Metal Guy: Alright already! Can we talk about something more pleasant? Like maybe in-grown toenails?
Great Wishy Woz: Silence! I am the Great Wishy Woz! And you are little pip-squeaks.
Metal Guy: I'm looking for love. In all the wrong places, apparently.
Manny Kin: I don't have a brain in my head. See?
Dotty: Oh my, you don't?
Manny Kin: Nope. Some folks are out of their mind, but my mind is out of me.
Manny Kin: One day? Well that's only 22 hours. I don't know how we're gonna do it!
Dotty: Thank you! (But they're really not my color...)
Fairy Oddmother: You're welcome! (Deal with it.)
Manny Kin: I guess I could have figured out a way to get my legs back on myself. But after all, I'm just a dummy!
Great Wishy Woz: Mystic Mountain Lion! What do you want?
Mystic Mountain Lion: I want my mommy...