Melanie Jacobs is ecstatic. Her pen pal, Jenny Roberts, a girl Mel has never met, is coming for dinner. But when Melanie meets Jenny, she is taken aback. Jenny is blind. Jenny lost her sight to a disease when she was seven years old. Melanie tries to be friendly, but she is unable to get past the fact that Jenny can’t see.
What makes Melanie really upset, however, is that Robyn seems to be getting along better with Jenny than Melanie is. The two Jacobs girls take Jenny all over town and to all sorts of events, including a soccer match and a carnival. At the carnival, Jenny plays a trick on Melanie in the Maze of Mirrors. This sends Melanie over the edge. She lashes out at Jenny and Robyn.
Later, at home, Jenny apologizes to Melanie and reads her a letter she was going to send before her visit, a letter revealing that she is blind. Jenny says Melanie has to realize that she’s the same person who wrote all those letters, she loves to laugh and play and have fun, and they can do all those things together. Jenny adds that she knows Mel is scared of Jenny’s disability and offers to help her get over her fear. Melanie agrees, and the two of them stop being pen pals...and start becoming good friends.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why did Melanie react the way she did when she learned Jenny was blind?
- Why was Melanie angry that Robyn and Jenny got along so well?
- Do you know any special people like Jenny?
- How do you treat them?
|Ann Jacobs||Ann Ault|
|Circus announcer||Bob Luttrell|
|Dale Jacobs||Phil Lollar|
|Jenny Roberts||Natalie Babbitt|
|Linda Roberts||Vaughn Taylor|
|Melanie Jacobs||Erin Bolte|
|Mike Roberts||Tom Williams|
|Robyn Jacobs||Sage Bolte|
- This episode introduces Jenny Roberts, who was the first handicapped character to regularly appear on AIO.
- Not counting retrospective episodes, this episode also marks the final appearances of both Robyn and Melanie Jacobs, though Robyn would later reappear many years later for a cameo in #???: “B-TV: Live”.
- Listen carefully to the background dialogue as everyone other than Melanie and Jenny walk into the kitchen: Vaughn Taylor as Linda Roberts comments that she'd love something to drink because it was a "long drive." Just a minute earlier, however (before the commercial break), Linda had commented what a quick drive it was!
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».