Mum’s the Word
|Bernard and Jeremiah||Mum’s the Word||The Family Next Door|
When stolen stories, secret crushes, and runaway radio shows come into play, no secret is safe.
The story starts with the revelation that Trent DeWhite has developed a crush on Mandy Straussberg. He asks Mandy to sit with him in the cafeteria, and she wants to tell him something. Before she can say anything, though, Trent loses his nerve and leaves, sure that Mandy likes him, too. The problem is that Trent thinks Mandy likes him because of the valentine he delivered to her in #560: “The Present Long Ago”, which was actually made by Max Hampton. Trent goes to Max and tells him that he wants to tell Mandy the truth, but Max threatens to tell everyone that Trent likes Mandy if he does.
Later at Whit's End, Trent explains the situation to Connie, who, to Trent's horror, is writing it down in story form (which, unbeknownst to Trent, was to be used in her secret book about Odyssey). After making Connie promise not to use it, Trent leaves. Connie then changes her mind and decides to change the names of the characters.
Not long after this, Mandy is talking to Connie, panicking that she hasn't written a story for her English class. Bernard comes in and asks Connie for help with Whit's office door, and as she leaves she drops the story that she wrote about the valentine. Mandy reads it, realizes that Trent didn't make her the valentine, and uses the story for her assignment.
Mandy then confronts Trent at school and asks him to tell her who the valentine was from, but Trent says that he can't because he was sworn to secrecy. He panics when Mandy tells him that she used the story about the valentine for her assignment, but she tries to calm him down by telling him that it was simply an assignment and that no one besides Mrs. Nietchew would read it. Then Liz Horton comes and tells them that the story is going to be published in The Odyssey Owl, distressing both Trent and Mandy.
Max, meanwhile, reads the story and becomes furious, thinking that Trent spilled the secret to Mandy. He volunteers as a last minute guest for Candid Conversations with Connie, intending to tell everyone about Trent's crush.
Trent, Mandy, and Liz later walk into Whit's End, talking about the story, when Bernard tells them that Max is the guest on Connie's radio show. Trent is greatly disturbed, and runs off to the radio studio. Mandy and Liz follow, unsure why Trent is so worried, and all three burst into the studio five minutes before the show. An argument ensues, and several secrets are spilled, including Trent liking Mandy, Max making the valentine, Connie writing a book about Odyssey, and Liz's crush on Alex Jefferson. Then they realize the 'On Air' light is on, and that their entire conversation was broadcast on KYDS Radio.
After the show is over, Max leaves quickly, and Connie, Liz, Mandy, and Trent talk about their confessions. Mandy tells Trent that in the cafeteria she had meant to tell him something about her parents and that she only really likes him as a friend. The four of them then laugh about how it could of been worse and list off some more of their deepest, darkest secrets before noticing the 'On Air' light is lit again. Max pressed the button on his way out, and now even more of their secrets have been broadcast for all of Odyssey to hear.
- This episode is missing discussion questions. You can help.
|Bernard Walton||Dave Madden|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Liz Horton||Lauren Schaffel|
|Mandy Straussberg||Aria Curzon|
|Max Hampton||Axel Alba|
|Trent DeWhite||Corey Padnos|
- This episode is a Trandy episode (the word being a portmanteau of Trent and Mandy) because it involves the relationship of Trent DeWhite and Mandy Straussberg. There are two other such episodes, #560: “The Present Long Ago” and #636: “A Class Reenactment”.
- During the scene in the studio, Trent admits that he likes Mandy, to which Max responds, "Smooth move there, Trent. I was going to tell everyone you liked her, but now you messed it up." This statement implies that Max knew that they were on the air from the beginning, as well as the fact that he was the only one who did not seem shocked at this when it was discovered by Trent, Mandy, Liz and Connie.
- The metaphor Connie uses about Trent's secret being "in the vault" was the same one Liz used in #417: “Not-So-Trivial Pursuits”.
QuotesMandy Straussberg: Trent, what are you doing on your knees?
Trent DeWhite: Mandy, will you...will you lift your foot? I dropped my spoon.
Trent DeWhite: Let me get your chair for you.
Mandy Straussberg: It's a bench, Trent. It's stuck to the wall.
Connie Kendall: Your secret's safe with me. It's in the vault.
Trent DeWhite: Good...does anyone know the combination?
Connie Kendall: Trent!
Bernard Walton: You're about as subtle as my Uncle Ted. He fills in his bald spot with a brown Sharpie.
Connie Kendall: Ew.
Connie Kendall: Candid Conversations is on in twenty minutes and Wooton can't make it--something about getting stuck in a dryer!
Bernard Walton: Oh, so you need a new guest, Ethel.
Connie Kendall: Ethel? That's not Russian.
Bernard Walton: Yeah, I know; I ran out of Russian names.
Liz Horton: I still have a crush on Alex Jefferson!
- This Page On
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=&epmode=detailed#episode0%7C Odyssey Library
- http://www.odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_.htm#Expression error: Unexpected < operator| Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=%7CSoda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000133.cfm%7CWhits End