Katrina Shanks was born in Chicago, Illinois, attended college in Odyssey. In #254: “Truth, Trivia and 'Trina” she appeared on a game show, trying to win money to help with the tuition. Her parents are very wealthy, but wanted her to pay her own way through college. She started dating Eugene not long after and their relationship was never simple--something was always going wrong. When Katrina became a Christian, with the help and guidance of Connie and Whit, she decided she should break up with Eugene and move back in with her parents because Eugene was not saved. When she heard that Eugene had become a Christian about a season later, they began dating again, but went through some rocky times due to the long-distance dating. During her stays in Odyssey she worked at both Whit's End and Holstein's Books. Katrina and Eugene became engaged in #374: “For Whom The Wedding Bells Toll, Part 3”, and it was during the Novacom saga when they married under strange conditions--Mr. Shanks, her father, was murdered by Andromeda, and Eugene and Katrina were married by her friend Brandon Teller at her father's bedside in the hospital just minutes before his death. After that she and her husband had to go into hiding for a few years as the tension wore off, and no one was sure if they'd ever return.
In Album 44, titled appropriately, Eugene Returns, Katrina and Eugene come back suddenly. They had a proper wedding celebration when they returned and she helped her husband with his search for his father.
Friends and Personal life
Katrina is very close friends with Connie, as well as her former room-mate, Janice Mitchell. An old boyfriend and close family friend of hers is Brandon, who later became a pastor and even conducted Katrina and Eugene's wedding. In the episode #706: “To Mend or Repair” Katrina and her husband, Eugene found out that they can not have children. She is a substitute teacher (#696: “You're Two Kind”, #700: “How to Sink a Sub”) and a tutor (#682: “The Green Ring Conspiracy, Part 4”)
- Main article: Meltsner family
Katrina has two brothers (mentioned in #283: “A Book by Its Cover”) but they have never appeared in any episodes. Her father's paternal grandfather was Swindon Shanks, who married a lady named Porcelain. Porcelain's engagement ring was presented to Katrina by her father in #393: “Wrapped Around Your Finger”. Katrina's mother, Millie Shanks, resides in Chicago. Millie last visited Odyssey in the episode #571: “For Better or For Worse, Part 2”. Armitage Shanks, her father, was in the hospital due to problems from Andromeda, and Eugene and Katrina were married by a friend at her father's bedside, in the hospital, just minutes before his death. In The Green Ring Conspiracy, Katrina met Buck Oliver and encouraged him to turn himself in to the police. While Buck was in Juvenile Detention, Katrina wrote letters to him. In The Ties That Bind, Eugene and Katrina became Buck's foster parents.
- She is 5 feet 10 inches.
- She has gray eyes. (#254: “Truth, Trivia, and 'Trina”)
- She was born in Chicago.
- She once had a boyfriend named Brandon. (#362: “The Right Choice, Part 1”)
- Her favorite dinner is lemon chicken. (#731: “More Than a Feeling”)
- Katrina, Connie and Eugene once entered in Bart Rathbone's game show. (#254: “Truth, Trivia, and 'Trina”)
- Eugene once made all of the household appliances talk which drove Katrina out of her mind. (#573: “Back to Abnormal”)
- Katrina and Eugene always go to bed between 10:00 and 10:05. (#731: “More Than a Feeling”)
- She conducted Buck Oliver's Whit's End job interview. (#682: “The Green Ring Conspiracy, Part 4”)
- She became a Christian. (#267: “It Ended with a Handshake”)
- She once got a haircut that Eugene believed made her look like a "q-tip." (#696: “You're Two Kind”)
Katrina has been in the following albums.
- See Meltsner quotes