A Simple Addition
In an effort to get attention, young Nicky does whatever he can to get his parents to stop thinking about their soon-to-be-born child.
The Rogers household is about to add a new member, and Joe and Shelly are happy about the prospect of having a baby. But four-year-old Nicky is only excited about the prospect of getting some new boots. Joe promises Nicky they will go shopping, but before they can, Shelly goes into labor. They all rush to the hospital, and Shannon Rogers comes into the world. Everyone is excited, except Nicky. He'd rather have his boots. Nicky feels even worse when Joe and Shelly bring little Shannon home. Shannon gets Nicky's old baby bed and pacifier (thoroughly sanitized, of course), not to mention most of Joe and Shelly's attention. Nick feels rejected and seeks comfort from the only family member who will still listen to him: Jingle Bells, the dog.
A few hours later, Joe finds Nicky and talks with him about his responsibilities as a new big brother. Joe reassures Nicky that his parents still love him more than ever. Nicky feels better and even gets a little excited about being a big brother. But he still wants his boots. Just then, a package arrives for Nicky from his grandparents, who are missionaries in Brazil. Inside the package is a pair of boots. God knew all along.
- Why was Nicky upset when he saw Shannon in his old baby bed?
- Have you ever felt like Nicky?
- If so, explain how.
- Joe told Nicky, "Not even Mommy and I can love you more than God does."
- Do you think that's true?
- Name some ways your parents shows that they love you.
- Name some ways God shows that He loves you.
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
- This episode is a re-airing of FP #13: “A Simple Addition”.
- In the Odyssey USA version of this episode, the name of this show is simply given as Odyssey and Whit's opening monologue is not heard during the opening theme. The name of show was officially changed to Adventures in Odyssey in the next episode, #23: “The Quality of Mercy”.
- Instead of being paired with #23: “The Quality of Mercy”, the next episode to be broadcast, this episode was paired with #24: “Gotcha!” when it was originally distributed on cassette.
- At the end of the first and only airing of the previous episode, #21: “The Case of the Missing Train Car”, Chris states that this episode would be about Jeremy Benson's new sibling. However, it is actually Nicky Rogers who gets a new sibling.
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».